Algerian Women in Science is a group that started in April 2020 to create an efficient network for future collaborations. The purpose is to build a safe scientific community dedicated to training future Algerian women leaders in science and advancing their careers. Indeed, we believe that science's neutrality is essential for women's emancipation, and through this, women have a vital role in society.
Since the coronavirus pandemic has begun, the scientific community is left responsible for answering the challenges. This opened an urgent need to connect and create a cohort of scientists to build leaders and face the needs of our times. We thus succeeded in creating an efficient network with different experts and are working on preparing a program for Algerian women in STEM empowerment.
Algeria has a vast diaspora where many Algerian women are at different locations and positions in the world. This creates a large group of qualified women with different experiences. The idea is to build a bridge between all those women to share information efficiently and promote women's careers in science.
Algerian Women in Science work to build a strong community to drive positive changes. Our community is committed to providing help from scientist to scientist.
It started with a group of friends and colleagues who share a common desire to lift up fellow Algerian women by creating a network of different experts to lead an online mentoring program for Algerian women in STEMM. Being virtual allows us to reach Algerian women regardless of their geographical location and to engage in intellectual discussions within a safe environment.
ALWIS aims to:
• Provide online mentoring program under various formats (1:1 mentoring session, workshops, or discussion panels with guest speakers).
• Build a diverse and inclusive environment for Algerian women by giving them a safe platform to express their challenges and dreams.
• Advocate for women in science in the Algerian society.
• Enhance networking opportunities for Algerian women scientists.
• Connect the scientific diaspora and women living in Algeria to help exchange expertise.
We are a group of friends and collaborators that met at graduate school or working life.
We decided to live the adventure of ALWIS to spread our knowledge and experience.